Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Minutes June 2017

WOLSINGHAM PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF   MEETING  HELD

TUESDAY  13TH JUNE   2017  

7.00 PM  TOWN HALL, WOLSINGHAM

PRESENT: Chair   D. Sugden, Mrs. J. Henderson,, R. George, K. Tippins, Mrs. Y. Bell, A. Vipond

Mrs. A. Savory, J. Norman,  Mrs. A. Nelson , J. Wilson

PUBLIC:                   Mrs. A. Boylan

POLICE :      P.C.S.O. Tim Gilks

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: None
  2. TO RECEIVE QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC: Mrs. Boylan asked if there was any update on Lydgate Lane being designated as a 20 MPH zone, following a recent motor vehicle accident and in view iof the lane being a major “ drop off point “ for children attending the primary school. Cllr Mrs. A. Savory had contacted the Highway Authority and had received the following advice: the mean average speed had bn recorded at 27MPH which would not trigger a 20 mph zone being created, traffic calming measures ( speed humps) would not be considered , they would cost £13k  and would be installed every 80 metres,  and a chicane would cost £8k. Should any of the above be considered then funding would need to be found as DCC would not fund the project, Cllr. Mrs. Savory could provide some of the funding through her neighbourhood budget and the rest would need to be sourced elsewhere. A speed miser sign could also be considered , and they would cost £1500.

It was moved that a highways consultant from DCC be asked to attend the July meeting.

1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST: None
  2. POLICE REPORT: PCSO Tim Gilks  gave the report , there had been a number of minor offences over the last three months but nothing untoward., A speed awareness campaign would be undertaken again , the aim was to prevent  speeding and not prosecution.

The recent disturbances emanating from Green Towers had been resolved , the perpetrators had been moved on and there was only three residents at present and a new manager had been appointed to oversee the facility.

1. MINUTES OF  MEETING HELD 9TH MAY  2017 , moved and signed as a true record.

6.MATTERS ARISING : Election Thornley Ward

It just keeps rolling forward to another election until it gets to the stage where the county council feels like they have to intervene.

The last notice of election passed with no nominations and the election was planned for 15th June now the county have to call another election within 35 days of 15th June.

Footpaths

With regard to footpath 32, Frosterley I can now confirm that it is open and unobstructed, although you can still use the permissive route through Kingfisher is you want to. I will be placing advisory signage at the end of the damaged section shortly. The path will have a temporary closure put on it, when the caravan park carry out bank protection works, but at present we have no definite timescale for this.

Nick is assessing the damage to footpath 98, Wolsingham and will no doubt let you know the outcome in due course.

Mike Murden Public Rights of Way officer

Your minutes of Feb 2016 refer to the "temporary" closure of footpath 98. Its now 18 months since the storm event which caused the damage. Footpath 32 further upriver is also affected. I have consulted a number of walkers including the Wayfarers. I have found no local walkers who considers that the path is sufficiently dangerous to warrant closure. Has the PC received any undertakings from DCC regarding when the obstructions will be removed? Any significant diversion from the current riverside route would not be acceptable. Originally i was advised that the barriers were required to prevent access while the bank was monitored for further movement. In 18 months there has been no further erosion of any significance at either fp32 or fp 98. The paths continue to be regularly used but the obstructions interfere with their enjoyment.

Footpath Leazes Lane

Hi Gordon

I’m already on the case

Following completion of Mayfield footpath a request was made by Paul Anderson (the new Highways Inspection & Maintenance Manager) for information on unmade or lost footway which required improvement. I immediately thought of the section you refer to and included it in a short list of similar footways in the area which was submitted in February.

Unfortunately I am one of sixteen inspector in the County all of whom has submitted similar footways. All submissions will be evaluated and prioritized in due course and then budgeted so there is no guarantees at this time if and when any locations will receive funding for improvement.

The task of assessing all information on these footpath will be quite time consuming and as yet there has been no indication when this task will be completed.

I will inform Paul of your request which will no doubt boost its profile and hopefully its chances.

Demesne Mill

I have received a report of a white van parked in the Demesne Mill area last night with two gentlemen having pitched a tent up against the new fence. They had left before 8am this morning - I drove past the entrance and there was nothing parked there however I have not been able to check for damage/litter.

Can you add as a general agenda point for the next meeting for discussion please.

Pole Tree Farm DM/15/03797

Dear Mr Dobson,

At the present time I understand that the applicant is looking to make a resubmission for a permanent dwelling and I am not expecting immediate enforcement action to be taken.

AS no specific question has been answered , clerk to write asking for a more comprehensive update. 

Good morning Tim , at the recent Annual Parish Meeting a resident has asked what is happening at Pole Tree Farm?

The latest planning application was refused on 2nd November and here we are 6 months later and there is still this " blot " on the landscape.

Are there any plans to have the site revert to greenfields?

How much longer will the static caravan be on site ? 

does temporary planning permission for the caravan last for ever?

Apart from a few saplings being planted nothing appears to have changed.

Could you please give an informative update on the status of the  site and what if any , action is being taken to regularise the situation

Long Distance Walking Group 24th June 2017 Rec Ground

Gordon

I’d guess 7.00am will be fine, I’ll listen to my colleagues but I’d reckon that will do it.  Thanks.

1. MINUTES ANNUAL MEETING 9TH MAY 2017 moved and signed as a true record.
  2. MATTERS ARISING:
  3. CORRESPONDENCE: W.I. invite 5th July ( Waste Re-cycling), Cllr. Y. Bel to attend

Mrs. Vivienne Welsh ( St. Godric HolyWell) , 23rd May St. Godrics Day to be celebrated.        

1. RECREATION GROUND: Long Distance Walking Assoc. use of parking facilities 24th June

Tree works , 5 / 6 Mill Race TCA.

1. ST. ANNE’S CENTRE:  Request from play group to display artwork,agreed
  2. ALLOTMENTS
  3. TOWN HALL:    Air Con : Quotes , three quotations had been received Alpine  , Durham Air Con.  Hadrian Air Con  agreed to accept the lowest tender , no security cage needed.

Peterlee Fire Co. Quote for biannual service and maintenance of Fire and emergency lighting system accepted

Agreed to purchase two pump action thermos flasks , in place of the boilers.

1. MARKET PLACE: Parking South Side of Market Place, residents had been written to and most had consulted with the clerk as to the problems being experienced, and hopefully the problem will be resolved. Union Flag to flown 4 times per annum and St. George Flag on St. George’s Day & Remembrance Sunday
  2. ANGATE STREET TOILETS :
  3. DEMESNE MILL:  The recent security fencing although not in keeping with the area is serving as a worthwhile deterrent and stopping vehicles accessing the sill falls. The pedestrian access will be widened when Appleby Fair is finished.
  4. THORNLEY WOOD The carriers for Causes token voting will continue at Darlington, Newton Aycliffe & Bp. Auckland Tesco stores till the end of June, it would appear that the Wolsingham container is lying third
  5. FOOTPATHS  Some parts of footpath 126 were being blocked, the area in question is a diversion from the existing footpath on to the riverside and nothing can be done to prevent the riparian owner blocking it off.

The footpath behind Lydgate Avenue needed some shrubbery removing Cllr. Savory to action.

1. CLOSED CHURCHYARD: Weardale Perfection Daffodil no further update.
  2. NEWSLETTER: Thornley Ward election,
  3. CLERKS BUSINESS: Leave of absence 19th _ 29th June, agreed.
  4. MEMBERS REQUEST: Facebook, it was agreed not to have a Facebook page, as to the many perceived problems associated with this form of social media, The website to be updated.

A contact list of all members to be circulated, and entered on to the website.

Mr. W. Hobson via Cllr Savory had requested a site meeting at Deneside  to consider a planning variation, clerk to arrange a Tuesday evening

Agreed to allow Cornerstone and the Womens Refuge charities use of the Market Place.

23 .PLANNING: 

23.01  The following applications have been approved:

DM/17/01236/TPO 38, Uppertown, T1 Ash Fell

DM/17/01414/TCA 52, Uppertown, T1 Birch, reduce & reshape by 2 m T2 Purple leaved plum reduce height by 2-3 m and reshape to balance remaining crown

DM/17/01253/FPA     20, Market Place, replace sliding sash windows to 1st floor, with double glazed timber sliding sash windows

DM/17/01025/TPO Deneside Lodge fell trees T1 – T5

23.02                       The following application has been withdrawn

DM/17/00760/OUT    1 dwelling, Scotch Isle Farm Durham Road

The following applications have been notified

DM17/01677/TCA      Recreation Ground West End , Crown lift Sycamore

DM/17/01445/FPA     Mayfield Leazes Lane, general purpose agricultural building

DM/17/00638/FPA     33, Front Street, replacement window & door and installation of new    sandstone flags to front of property

1.      24.0         Finance Reports End MAY  2017, agreed and accepted.

2.                      Auditors Report, is being worked on , but agreed to defer to September Finance meeting.

3.                     Annual Governance Statement, agreed and answered yes to all questions, and signed by chair and clerk

4.                     Annual Return , agreed to figures and signed by chair and clerk.